Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Apartment


After 2 months of searching for a more modest housing situation (necessitated by the big work hours/salary reduction), I found a new place. The upside is that it is uncannily similar to my last studio, just miniature. The layout is basically the same as the other studio. It has lots of built-in storage and little charming details. It even has the same windows. In some ways it is an upgrade from the previous studio, despite being smaller. Improvements include:
-Bathroom sink has one tap instead of individual taps for hot and cold. This makes comfortable face washing much easier.
-It still has hardwood floors, but not every apartment in the building has hardwood floors. This sucks for those who don't have nice floors, but it means I don't have to hear the creaks and squeaks that result from upstairs tenants going about their daily routines.
-Larger windows = more light
-No roommates needed
-Walking distance from Albatross Pub

There are a few things that I'm adjusting to about the studio as well.
-My very large windows look out to the backs of 3 large apartment complexes, making curtains a big must.
-Being politely (usually) panhandled every time I enter or leave my house
-Loud public arguments in the parking lots of the 3 apartment buildings
-Putting rent checks into a heavy, locked safe

None of this is a huge adjustment. I grew up in the mission, after all. In many ways this new place, wrinkles and all, is more age appropriate. I am not yet a proper yuppie, so the Gourmet Ghetto is not yet for me. This new studio is in a grittier area but that is about right.

Interior photos coming soon.

No comments: